Why does it always seem that as soon as the Christmas holidays start, we all fall foul to a particularly pernicious cold? Christmas Eve is spent stumbling around the shops for last minute presents and the fug of congestion means that Great Auntie Barbara finds herself unwrapping a tie rack on Christmas Day. Other presents are opened to a chorus of coughs and sneezes and there are as many discarded tissues as there are is shredded wrapping paper in the ubiquitous ‘Get a Bin Bag for the Paper’ bag! Celebratory glasses of Champagne are passed up in favour of a Lemsip and everyone’s always fast asleep long before Big Ben chimes in the New Year. Rubbish.
However if you want to enjoy Christmas like they do on the telly (albeit maybe not like on EastEnders!) then a little bottle of our wonderful Eucalyptus Essential Oil could be just the thing you need.
Eucalyptus Oil has long been used as a remedy for colds and congestion, in fact before the distillation process was perfected people were known to roll up the leaves of the Eucalyptus Tree and smoke them! However these days we are able to benefit from eucalyptus’ healing properties in a slightly more pleasant sounding manner! Eucalyptus essential oil has a number of properties that make it the perfect choice for treating your Christmas cold. It is:
- Expectorant – this action causes the body to increase the amount of mucus secretions, or increase the hydration level of existing secretions. This will both sooth the irritated respiratory tract and helps to eliminate a build-up of mucus.
- Anti-viral – this will help to kill the virus that is causing your cold in the first place.
- Antiseptic and antibacterial – this will help to relieve any secondary infections that you may be more susceptible to as a result of the cold virus.
- Anti-inflammatory – this will help to reduce inflammation of the respiratory tract allowing you to breathe easier.
- Astringent – this will help to shrink inflamed mucus membranes.
- Anti-spasmodic – this will help to soothe any aching muscles and/or joints.
- Analgesic (pain killing) – this will help to relieve any sore throats or headaches etc that are associated with a cold.
The best way to use eucalyptus to treat the symptoms of a cold is by inhaling the vapours of the pure essential oil, this can be done in a number of ways. Firstly we recommend adding 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of very hot water (straight from a kettle is good), cover both your head and the bowl with a towel and inhale the warm vapours for approximately 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. Alternatively you can inhale the vapours directly from the oil by applying a few drops of a handkerchief that can be sniffed throughout the day. Or at night slip a handkerchief sprinkled with a few drops of eucalyptus inside your pillowcase which will slowly release the vapours whilst you sleep. Finally you can add 6 drops of eucalyptus oil to 10ml of a carrier oil and massage into the chest.
CAUTION: Eucalyptus Oil should never be used by pregnant or breastfeeding mothers or on children. It should also never be applied neat to the skin or ingested.