We have been selling gorgeous scented candles for some time now, but for 2016 wedecided to branch out into creating our very own Jersey Lavender Scented Candle. We wanted our candle to be of the very highest quality to give our customers the very best experience when burning the candle, so we packed in as much of our gorgeously velvety lavender essential oil as we possible could. This means that almost as soon as you light the candle you will be enveloped in the soothing aroma of our amazing Jersey Lavender.
But creating a scented candle is about more than just adding the fragrance, the choice of wax itself is also something to be taken into consideration. There are a number of choices of waxes that can be used in candle making, such as paraffin or more eco-friendly plant based waxes. We decided to make our candle using a plant-based wax, but what is the difference in waxes and why did we make this decision?
For many years paraffin wax has been used in candle making, mainly because it was cheaper than using natural products such as beeswax. However there are a number of disadvantages to using paraffin wax, which means that many candle makers are now switching to using more recently developed natural plant-based waxes. These include:
- It is believed that burning paraffin wax can release a number of carcinogenic chemicals into the atmosphere such as; acetaldehyde, acrolein, benzene, formaldehyde, polyaromatic hydrocarbons and toluene.
- Burning paraffin wax releases more soot into the atmosphere than other forms of wax which can not only lead to soot stains in your rooms, but can also lead to allergic reactions and exacerbated respiratory problems.
- Paraffin wax burns more quickly, therefore you often get less for your money that with other types of longer burning wax.
- Paraffin is a by-product of petroleum manufacture, which means that using paraffin is putting further pressure on our environment by the continuing use of non-renewable resources.
- Paraffin wax is non-biodegradable.
So, you can rest assured that when you light our lovely new Jersey Lavender Candle you will be getting the very best quality product that will burn cleanly and effectively without any adverse effects on you or our environment.
Why not check out our full range of home fragrance products, and don’t only treat yourself but remember that they make fantastic gifts for family and friends, so stock up now before the Christmas rush hits!