It is estimated that acne affects between 70% and 90% of all teenagers and young adults, but there has also recently been a rise in the levels of adult acne. Acne can be painful, unsightly and can also seriously affect the sufferer’s self-esteem. There is an absolutely baffling array of acne treatment products on the market, just take a look down the skincare aisle of your local supermarket or pharmacy and you’ll see just how many products are devoted to treating problem skin. However in many cases this huge choice can actually do more harm than good. Firstly having to select the right product for you can be completely overwhelming, but also finding a product that isn’t full of harsh, chemically synthesized ingredients can be almost impossible.
So is it possible for you to treat acne simply and naturally using essential oils?
There are a number of natural essential oils that can be used to treat acne, including tea tree, clary sage and juniper; however since we are the Jersey Lavender Farm we are going to look at how you can use our amazing lavender essential oil to treat acne.
Lavender oil has a number of properties that can help to treat acne, without having to reach for harsh and often expensive chemicals:
- Antibacterial – lavender oil is naturally antibacterial and so can act against the bacteria that are often the cause of acne
- Healing – lavender oil speeds up your skins natural healing process and so can help to reduce redness and any scarring associated with acne
- Soothing – lavender oil has soothing and calming properties that can be very effective against the irritation and pain that is caused by acne. Also many experts believe that the rise in adult acne is due to increased stress levels so using lavender oil can not only treat the acne but help to treat the cause of it too
- Anti-inflammatory – often acne causes the skin to become inflamed, lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties which can act against that
So how can you use lavender essential oil to treat acne? There are a number of methods and it may be worth experimenting to find which one is right for you. These include:
- Applying lavender oil directly to spots – simply soak a cotton bud in a few drops of lavender oil and apply this directly to any spots or pimples
- Add 1 or 2 drops of lavender oil into your usual moisturiser to boost its anti-acne effect
- Make a lavender skin toner – mix 10 drops of lavender oil into 100ml of boiling water and when cooled apply to the skin using cotton wool, as you would a regular toner
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to a bowl of hot water and steam your face over this twice a day. The steam will open your pores and dissipate any sebum build up so that the vaporised lavender oil will be able to get to work deep in your skin